PROUDLY SINGAPORE MADE    /    ETHICAL CHOICE    /    BIGGER AND BETTER ROCKS    /    REAL DIAMONDS
Diamonds
Engagement Rings
Before Proposing
After Proposing
Industry Must Read
>

Engagement Rings
All platinum rings are not equal
Sep 27, 2022
Precious metals like gold and platinum are commonly used for rings, and their qualities are often assumed to be the same across the industry. However, this is far from the truth; many ring manufacturers use substandard alloys of metal to save money, resulting in rings that cannot maintain their structure and appearance over time. The platinum rings that we make, on the other hand, stand the test of time, outlasting any other platinum rings while maintaining their beautiful appearance.  
 
Exactly why do we feel so confident about our platinum rings? Glad you asked! To find out what makes Novita's platinum rings so unique, continue reading.
 
Manufacturers of platinum rings make them out of 90% pure platinum and 10% a mix of various metals as a standard practice in the diamond industry, in order to save costs. However, we think diluting the platinum alloy with extra base metals is nothing more than deceiving customers out of their money and a better-quality product. Novita uses 95% pure platinum, the highest it can be in a ring, but the rest of the 5% is what differentiates us from the competition.

Most retailers that do sell 95% platinum rings, simply use copper to fill the remaining 5%. As you know, copper is reddish brown in colour, so what do you think happens when you add copper to white metal like platinum? You get a metal that, at first glance, might look white but is nonetheless a muted and dull colour that is nowhere close to the vibrant silver shine of pure platinum. To help counteract this dullness and make it silvery white again, the ring is coated with a thin layer of a nickel mix or rhodium, much like white gold rings. This thin coating is just a veneer and will peel off from regular use within a very short period of time, resulting in the original dull surface getting exposed. This can only be resolved, temporarily, by taking it back to the shop and having it replated. 
 
A further disadvantage of adding copper to platinum is that it does not only make the ring look lifeless, but it also makes it weaker and prone to physical wear and tear. Mixing copper with other metals, including platinum, makes for a very soft alloy. A platinum and copper alloy ring will simply not last long; it will accumulate scratches and dents as it ages. But that's not the worst part. The soft claws holding the lab diamond in place will likely become damaged even with moderate knocks or bumps, potentially losing the centre diamond. 
 

Novita’s Secret Platinum Alloy formula 

It is for all these reasons that Novita would never consider the use of copper to produce platinum rings. Thus, Novita has spent decades researching and developing a unique and closely guarded mixture of metals, all naturally white, which, when combined with platinum, brings out the best qualities of platinum while reinforcing it. Our 95% platinum rings are not only brilliantly silver in colour but also very strong. 

What does this all mean for the customer? In short, due to Novita's secret platinum alloy mix, you will no longer need the regular and costly replating. Novita's platinum ring will maintain its initial beautiful colour and lustre even 20 or 50 years down the line. Our 5% secret alloy also gives the platinum rings incredible strength and durability, allowing them to hold their shape even after accidental knocks and bumps (to a degree). 

Using Platinum Costs 

There are several reasons why platinum rings are more expensive than white gold. The most straightforward reason is due to the rarity of platinum itself. The alloy used to make platinum rings is also purer and denser than white gold. Nevertheless, almost all diamond retailers, no matter how big or small, charge well over 40 to 100% more for platinum rings than they do for white gold rings. Novita, meanwhile, charges a very small premium, typically 8 to 15%, for its platinum rings.

Our prices are vastly different from those of our competitors, and the reason for this is very simple: platinum is a very difficult metal to work with. Gold, for example, melts at around 1100 degrees Celsius, while platinum requires a working temperature in excess of 1700 degrees C. As you can see, platinum requires more than half the temperature of gold to melt and be pliable enough to work with. Platinum's exceptionally high-temperature barrier has only been overcome by technology in the last half-century when master jewellers began working with it in earnest. Before that, platinum was only relegated to tiny parts of the ring, primarily decorations. Even so, melting platinum and creating rings with it still requires an incredible amount of energy, highly specialised machines and tools, not to mention skilled jewellers. The jewellers, despite their skill, have to experiment through trial and error to make the right alloy, further driving up costs. Because many retailers can't or don't want to invest in such costly equipment and employees, they have to outsource the production of platinum rings to specialised facilities and then pass the heavy bill onto their customers.


Having identified platinum, rather than gold, as the metal of the future very early on, Novita invested very heavily in mastering the process of working with it. After decades of experience, hard work and research, the results have finally paid off. Novita's specialisation in platinum has enabled us to produce platinum in scale and quality that is unmatched in the diamond industry. Naturally, with scale comes efficiency, and Novita passes those considerable savings onto their customers by pricing their platinum rings much lower than the competition. It is imperative to note that this low price of our platinum rings does not in any way mean that we are compromising on quality. Far from it, in fact. The secret formula we use makes our platinum rings superior to those produced by any other platinum ring manufacturer worldwide, so much so that it isn't even a contest. 

In summary, not only are Novita's platinum rings more affordable, they are whiter, stronger and much more durable than any gold or platinum ring. Take a look at our extensive collection of ring designs that can be made with platinum, and take advantage of Novita's specialisation in platinum ring manufacturing so you can be the proud owner of a stunning ring that will last a lifetime and can be passed down generations while still looking as pristine as the day it was bought.